YOU’RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS

It's not the years in your life, but the life in your years. If you're thinking of starting a new adventure in your life - Just do it!

12 Jun 2017

Old
Cherry Ripes

It’s not the years in your life, but the life in your years. If you’re thinking of starting a new adventure in your life – Just do it! You’re never too old to learn new tricks.

I’m a mature age student; mature is putting it mildly, I’m actually very old. My sister Ruby is old like me and we celebrate the ageing process by performing musical comedy. Together, we form the ‘Cherry Ripes’ and sing songs about Older Ladies, Ex-Husbands, Menopause and Online Dating.

We’re two fun loving, grey haired sisters from Kandanga – a small country town in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast. Growing up on a farm we honed our skills performing in front of our animals – the cows and dogs seemed to enjoy our shows a lot more than our neighbours ever did, that’s for sure.

We sing a fusion of genres like blues, rock, folk and pop; although some have said our music is more of a ‘con-fusion’ really.

With a string of awards as long as the Nicklin Way (including Best Musical Comedy in Kandanga), we really are legends in our own teacups!

In 2016 we performed at local shows like the Caloundra Music Festival, Ocean Street Festival in Maroochydore and the Noosa Show. We also travelled interstate to have some fun at the Adelaide Fringe Festival and landed a gig on Adelaide’s ABC Radio performing our new album ‘Cherryattrics’. The live broadcast was heard by audiences overseas with a simultaneous broadcast to the Scotland Fridge Festival. It was a massive high for us and the pinnacle of our musical careers to date.

As much I love performing, I’m definitely far from stage shy, I decided I wanted to learn more about the production side of live music and learn new skills working behind the scenes. Consequently, I chose to study a Certificate III in Sound Production.

I’m learning how to get the best sound out of my own equipment so that when we’re out on stage we sound the best we can because, to be honest, we need all the help we can get!

I’m a mature aged student, but even though I’m the ‘oldie’ in the class, I love being surrounded by such wonderfully talented young people. Their energy is infectious and it’s a wonderfully supportive learning environment.

In my spare time, I teach ukulele and Ruby teaches Zumba dancing. We like to keep busy by teaching other people whatever we can pass on.

We’re performing all over the Coast and you can follow us at cherryripes.com.au. Come along and see one of our shows. Trust me it will be more fun than a chook raffle!

• Cherry Ripe

Ha Ha. So sweet.

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.