THE POWER OF MUSIC

Mason is truly a unique performer who is looking to pursue a unique career in music and is doing school differently in order to achieve his dreams.

15 Feb 2017

Mason Hope Music
Mason Hope

A born performer, 17-year-old singer/songwriter Mason Hope has found the ‘recipe’ for a successful career in music and is completing his Year 12 studies differently from most other students.

Mason is a gifted musician and has been performing at local venues across the Sunshine Coast while completing his senior schooling at Maroochydore State High School. He’s grown up juggling music lessons; playing gigs; performing with the Buderim Youth Theatre of Excellence (BYTES); and rehearsing for festivals like the renowned Caloundra Music Festival.

In 2016 Mason featured in Triple J Unearthed; won the iconic Gympie Music Muster Talent Search competition; was crowned the ‘Voice of Urban’ at the Caboolture Urban Country Music Festival; was selected as a top four finalist in the Coca-Cola Tamworth Music Festival Rising Star competition; and featured in the Queensland-wide talent show, Creative Generation – State Schools Onstage where he performed in four arena style stage shows at the Brisbane Convention Centre which aired on Channel Ten.

“Songs are like recipes handed down through generations. In the same way recipes are tweaked to find the best flavour, songs can be tweaked to find the best composition and sound,” Mason said. “I use beats, rhythms and melodies like ‘ingredients’ to connect with people and tell my story through music,” he said.

Mindful not to pigeonhole himself into any particular musical genre, Mason’s songs express his thoughts, feelings and emotions about life and events around him.

“It’s important to show people that life has its ups and downs, just like music,” Mason said. “Life is a series of moments and it’s important to cherish each one before they pass you by. You can be cool just by being you,” he said.

With a voice likened to the great Elvis Presley, Mason is set to take on the world one song at a time; first stop Graceland, Tennessee to record an album in the iconic SUN Studio – the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll – just as Elvis did.

“I realise that homework, and the stress and pressure of exams is part and parcel of growing up, but it isn’t really my thing. I’d rather be writing songs, playing my guitar and performing,” Mason said.

“University didn’t offer a pathway that best suited me or my skills. Thankfully, I found an alternative and less stressful pathway into the music industry at TAFE.

“I’m complementing my Year 11 and 12 high school studies by undertaking a Certificate IV in Music at TAFE Queensland East Coast. I not only receive 8 QCE credit points for studying TAFE at school, but I’ve also been able to hone my skills and acquire qualifications at the same time as pursuing my passion for music.

“Even if I don’t make it big, music will always be a strong part of my life and TAFE is helping me form the building blocks I need to be successful long into the future,” he said.

Follow Mason’s adventures at MasonHopeMusic.com.

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.