FASHION: TAKING YOU PLACES

The first ever Indigenous Australian to showcase at New York Fashion Week, Natalie is renowned throughout the world for her flair with authentic and flamboyant Indigenous Australian prints, quality textiles and vibrant colours.

30 May 2017

Fashion
Natalie Cunningham

Each change in season means it’s time to restock your wardrobe and Sunshine Coast fashion designer Natalie Cunningham is using her skills and training to help you step out onto the sand in style and shine vibrantly each Summer.

Natalie is a TAFE Queensland East Coast graduate and the award winning Indigenous fashion designer behind acclaimed label Native Swimwear Australia.

“My Aboriginal heritage is what inspires my designs, using Indigenous paintings on my designs so that their dreamtime stories are told far and wide,” Natalie said.

“We have a beautiful and unique culture and I see it as my calling to share it with the world through the best way I know how,” she said.

Natalie is proud to not only pay homage to her Aboriginal family, but also create beautifully shaped swimwear for women and mothers ensuring they feel confident and comfortable while at the beach and in the water.

“I was a young mum at 21 and now with four children, I use my training to design swimwear for real women with support for their stomachs and breasts,” Natalie said.

“I began my journey at TAFE enrolling in the Diploma of Clothing, Textiles and Footwear and now 10 years on, I have made shapewear in Swimwear Sexy!” she said.

Natalie came back to TAFE in 2016 to take on a Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology to further her skills and grow her label throughout Australia and the world. She’s now using her training to fulfill her dreams and tell her indigenous story.

If you have a passion for fashion and want to take your skills to a new level, visit tafeeastcoast.edu.au today.

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.