DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY

I’m doing school differently. I’m a unique performer and I want to pursue a very unique career in music and university didn’t offer a pathway that best suited me or my skills.

8 Jun 2017

School
Mason Hope

I’ve always been around music and instruments from a young age. I started drum lessons when I was six-years-old; A hand-me down Rolland electric drum kit. Jet black with broken legs and duct tape holding it together – I still have it.

Drums are big and loud. You get to hit things. What’s not to like about that? But did you know drums are the oldest instrument? They were used for talking to spirits, communicating over distance, and to incite fear in enemies during times of war – we’ve all seen the movies.

I was about 11 when I felt like a change and wanted to learn more about music so I started taking guitar lessons. I seemed to pick it up pretty easily. I learned on an old borrowed Nylon, I can’t even really remember where it came from. But then, out of the blue one Christmas, all of my family chipped-in to buy me my very own guitar – a CORT. A dreadnaught, it has a natural wood finish, it’s light and wide and long. My family have never had a lot of money, so it was an incredibly generous gift and I was honestly totally overwhelmed when they gave it to me. I’ll never sell it. You can never sell your first guitar!

After growing up living and breathing music, I wanted to pursue it as a career. Thankfully, I found an alternate and less stressful pathway into the music industry.

I complemented my Year 11 and 12 high school studies by undertaking a Certificate IV in Music at TAFE. Not only did I receive 8 QCE credit points for studying TAFE at school, but I’ve also been able to hone my skills and acquire qualifications at the same time as pursuing my passion for music.

I’ve learned the skills to compose and write lyrics as well as understand the stringent copyright arrangements in industry. I worked with teachers to further develop my instrumental techniques, to develop techniques for arranging music and performing, but most importantly I worked with my teachers and manager to develop the best pathway to become successful in the music industry.

Even if I don’t make it big, music will always be a strong part of my life, so TAFE’s helping me form the building blocks I need to be successful long into the future.

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.