BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS

I was 8-years-old when I got my first taste of the design world and was hooked. I was determined to start my own business so I could turn my passion into a career while doing things my way.

31 May 2017

Graphic Design
Madeline Rawlings

Graphic design helps businesses and brands communicate with people more effectively; it brings ideas to life in ways that are not only effective, but also beautiful.

I was completely consumed by creativity and design and enrolled in a Diploma of Graphic Design at TAFE.

My teachers owned their own design businesses so they were practically living and breathing design – I was so inspired. They applied their professional and personal experiences of current industry practices to our learning environment; giving us real-world design scenarios to solve and assessment tasks to build our portfolios.

I learned a wide range of skills and techniques and was exposed to all sorts of scenarios within the broader graphic design space, getting a true taste of industry and business opportunities available.

I graduated self-assured, capable and confident. I knew I was taught the current techniques, processes and programs to put my skills into practice.

After graduating, I founded my own freelance graphic design and branding agency ‘The Binding’ and set up residency in the collaborative co-working spaces of SPARK BUREAU in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast. At SPARK BUREAU I was involved in the technology startup incubator program and took an opportunity to co-found Xandra. Today we’re one of the world’s first companies solely dedicated to developing ‘chatbots’ for brands to engage users via conversational interfaces like Facebook Messenger and Amazon’s Alexa.

It’s a really exciting time on the Sunshine Coast and to have the opportunity to play an active role in shaping the future of my own community as a young business owner is so exciting.

Building my own business has been an incredibly rewarding experience and one I would thoroughly recommend to others.

Things that worked for me were:

1. Commit and go ‘all in’
      • Just as you would in Poker, push all of your chips into the pot and go ‘all in’
    2. Set up a support network
      • Both personal and professional
      • Seek a mentor or simply a shoulder to cry on
    3. Keep current
      • Keep evolving to position your brand at the forefront of your client’s mind.

Above all, do your best-quality work for everyone and embrace that what you do and the skills you possess, is what many businesses and organisations desperately need, so don’t be afraid to charge them for it.

Driven by creativity and bound by purpose, I’ve turned my passion and lifestyle into a career and now bring creative ideas to life every day, doing things my way. You can too!

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.