ABORIGINAL CULTURE IN THE CLASSROOM

Kimberley Appo is a proud young Aboriginal woman who is bridging her Gooreng Gooreng family knowledge, spirituality and wisdom into the early childhood classroom

19 Jun 2017

Aboriginal
Kimberley Appo

Kimberley Appo is a proud young Aboriginal woman who is bridging her Gooreng Gooreng family knowledge, spirituality and wisdom into the early childhood classroom.

She aims to not only teach children and colleagues about cultural diversity and imbed cultural resources into early learning curriculums, but also promote the importance of education in early childhood to all families in the community, especially Aboriginal families.

One of only a handful of Aboriginal early childhood educators in Bundaberg, 23-year-old Kimberley’s love of children developed from a young age after growing up, living and learning, in a big family.

“My father is one of five children; my mother is one of eight; I’m the youngest of nine; and I have 21 nieces and nephews, not to mention countless cousins,” Kimberley said.

“I live and breathe for my family. I’ve grown to become independent, assertive and confident. But I’ve always been extremely family orientated.”

“I’ve been changing nappies and bottle feeding for as long as I can remember. I’ve watched all of my nieces and nephews grow; helping them to develop into amazing little humans.”

“There’s no greater satisfaction than seeing young children grow and develop, knowing that you’ve had a hand in where they are today,” she said.

At 19, Kimberley followed her heart and her storyline and found a pathway into early childhood education and care, studying a Certificate III in Children’s Services at TAFE.

“Childcare isn’t easy. It’s something you need to really want to do. It can’t be something you want to have a go at just to see if you’d be good at it,” Kimberley said.

“Working with children, parents, families and communities requires passion and patience, time and attention, and love and affection.”

“At TAFE, I gained valuable knowledge and skills and learned how to program for a child’s needs. Working with children really keeps you on your toes. Each day is so very different. Each experience requires careful thought and planning; putting ourselves in their shoes and trying to think how they would think.”

“My industry placements allowed me to get a hands-on practical feel for course content. I really enjoyed putting theory into practice,” she said.

Kimberley excelled during her placement at Bundaberg’s Eastside Little Learners Child Care Centre and was offered a full-time position. With the support and guidance of Centre Director Joanne Gleeson, Kimberley progressed her education, completing a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care; and is now implementing Aboriginal perspectives and involving Aboriginal people in classroom experiences to educate young children about culture and diversity.

“Joanne is great to work for. She’s open to the ideas I bring to the table and is accepting of all cultures. She’s embraced how important my Aboriginal culture and identity is to me and is allowing me to integrate my culture into the classroom and the children love it,” Kimberley said.

“We’ve invited local Aboriginal dancers to dance with our classes; children paint with Aboriginal artists; and the language coordinator at the Gidarjil Development Corporation has taught everyone traditional Aboriginal greetings… we even learned how to sing English songs like heads, shoulders, knees and toes in our traditional language.”

“I’m privileged to be given the opportunity to incorporate my culture into classroom experiences and give the children the chance to try new things,” she said.

By sharing her family’s history, identity and experiences with both children and other childcare educators in the community, Kimberley hopes to break down barriers and promote acceptance and inclusion of Aboriginal culture into early childhood education to secure a successful future for all children.

“Many Aboriginal parents feel reluctant to send their children to school. I want Aboriginal people to understand what childcare is and how it can help benefit their children,” Kimberley said.

“We can help young Aboriginal children establish healthy habits, learn the importance of routines, and form valuable social and communication skills. Interaction and inclusion is incredibly important throughout early childhood; increasing a child’s sense of belonging, connectedness and wellbeing.”

“Ensuring Aboriginal children and their families feel safe in the classroom will close the gap between the life outcomes of Aboriginal people and other Australian children, guaranteeing a successful future for all,” she said.

Tafe tales

"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS"

"DOING SCHOOL DIFFERENTLY"

"THE THEATRE OF COSTUME DESIGN"

"FROM SASSY SUPERHERO TO SULTRY EGYPTIAN VAMPIRE"

"BUILDING MY OWN BUSINESS"

"WHY I BECAME A FITNESS MODEL"

"CRAFTING A CAREER IN COSTUME DESIGN"

"SAVING MY FIRST LIFE"

"THE FINISH LINE"

"KARATE: A SPIRITUALITY I LIVE MY LIFE BY"

"I WANT TO BE THE NEXT WIGGLE"

"BEING A MUM IS EVERYTHING TO ME"

"I’M OLD BUT I’M NOT OBSOLETE"

"THE BEST NIGHT EVER"

"TATTOO: MY LIFE STORY IS ON ME"

"MUSIC IS MY ADDICTION"

"MY TWIN DIED, WHILE I SURVIVED"

"RETURNING TO WORK AFTER HAVING KIDS"

© TAFE Queensland East Coast 2017.
RTO 0418 | CRICOS 02004B.